FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions About Illiad
Need Help Logging in to Illiad?
If any of your questions are not answered here please visit the service desk in the library. You can also e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us (651) 696-6610. Or, get in touch with Connie karlen via e-mail email@example.com or call (651) 696-6545. Login to Illiad
How to Use ILL at Macalester
- Check to see if Macalester owns or subscribes to the item
- Submit an ILL Request ILLiad
- If a book is not available at Macalester, submit an ILLiad Request by clicking on the "Request Item through Interlibrary Loan" button in WorldCat.
- For articles, if you are in Macalester WorldCat, use the "Request item through Interlibrary Loan" button. You can also use the MacLinks button in WorldCat. If you are searching in a database, look for the MacLinks button that is associated with an item you find. From the MacLinks menu, find the ILL option.
- For other types of materials, submit an ILLiad Request. Use the options in Macalester WorldCat, MacLinks, or login directly to ILLiad from the Library home page.
- Receive an e-mail message notifying you an item has arrived
- For ILLiad Requests, you will receive an e-mail notifying you that an ILL item has arrived for you. The e-mail will contain information about how to get a hold of, or access, the item.
- Pick up your item or download and save an electronic copy
- For books and other physical items borrowed, pick up your items at the service desk in the library. You will be able to keep each item for a designated period of time. Keep any paperwork you received with an item.
- For articles, you will need to download an electronic PDF copy and save the article elsewhere within 7 days of receiving the e-mail message about the item. There is no return process for articles.
- Submit a Renewal Request, if needed, before the due date
- For ILLiad books and other items, submit a Renewal Request within your ILLiad account. Go to Checked Out Items from the Main Menu. Click into the record for the item. Look for the Renew Request option within the record.
- Whether or not an item is renewed is up to the specific lending library.
- Return your item by the due date
- Macalester relies on libraries across the state of Minnesota and around the world to share their materials with us. We feel it is very important to maintain a good relationship with these libraries. Thank you for respecting the due date on your ILL materials.
- Return books and other physical items, along with their paperwork, to the service desk in the library.
- Ask library staff for help, if needed
- Please don't be shy! If you have a question about ILL, please stop by the service desk in the library, located on the first level.
- Or, you can also e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us (651) 696-6610.
- Or, get in touch with Connie Karlen via e-mail email@example.com or call (651) 696-6545.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can use ILL services at Macalester?
- What is ILLiad and what are ILLiad Requests?
- What items can be requested through ILLiad?
- How long will I have to wait for something to arrive?
- How am I notified about my requests?
- Where do I pick up my books, articles, etc.?
- How many requests may I submit?
- Are there any charges for using ILLiad?
- Can I renew my ILL books?
- Are there overdue fines?
Who can use ILL services at Macalester?
Current students, faculty, and staff of Macalester College can use ILL. If you are not a current Macalester community member, please ask about ILL services at your local public library.
What is ILLiad and what are ILLiad Requests?
ILLiad is the library's main ILL system. ILLiad Requests are submitted for books, journal and magazine articles, and other library materials not available here at Macalester.
What items can be requested through ILLiad?
Books and journal articles are the two types of items most frequently requested. CDs, DVDs, VHS tapes, and microform material are routinely requested, but often have shorter loan periods or other specific conditions on how they can be used. If you are not sure about requesting a specific item please contact the interlibrary loan office, firstname.lastname@example.org or (651) 696-6545.
How long will I have to wait for something to arrive?
It can be very difficult to guess how long it will take for an item to arrive. The majority of items arrive within three days after the request was submitted and the Macalester library staff does what they can to get material delivered as quickly as possible. However, there are numerous factors to consider that are beyond the control of the Macalester library staff. A few examples: How quickly a lending library responds, the geographical location of the lending library, delivery method, and rate at which the United States Post Office operates.
How am I notified about my requests?
An email will be sent to your Macalester email address when your requested item arrives. You can also log in to your ILLiad account to check the status of any of your requests.
Where do I pick up my books, articles, etc.?
Loans, items that must be returned (e.g. books), are picked up, and returned, at the library service desk. Copies, items that are yours to keep (e.g. articles), are uploaded to your ILLiad account in pdf format. PDFs will be deleted from your ILLiad account after 7 days, so you must print or save them somewhere else if you want to keep them longer.
How many requests may I submit?
You may submit as many ILL requests as you want. However, no more than five of your requests will be processed in a single day unless all other requests submitted by other individuals have been completed.
Are there any charges for using ILLiad?
In most cases there is no charge for using Macalester's Interlibrary Loan service. Occasionally, you may be asked to pay money if the fee to obtain a particular item greatly exceeds routine costs. The Macalester library will never order such an item without first gaining your approval.
Can I renew my ILL books?
Yes. You can renew an ILL item automatically for seven days through your ILLiad account, when viewing the full record of a request for an item currently checked out. The automated renewal will only work if processed prior to the initial due date. When an automated renewal is processed a request is sent to the lending library asking for more time to keep the item, and an extention of greater than seven days may be awarded. If the initial due date has passed then you must contact the Interlibrary Loan office, email@example.com or (651) 696-6545, to request a renewal.
Are there overdue fines?
Typically no. However, any library that we borrow from has the right to bill Macalester for items kept passed their due dates. If Macalester is billed for this reason you will be billed for the same amount. Items kept for a significant amount of time will be considered lost and you will be billed for whatever amount the lending library chooses. This amount is rarely less than $65 and frequently greater than $100.